Friday, April 12, 2013

He's a cold hearted snake! Not Really.


So if you didn't know, I'm fascinated with reptiles; snakes, iguanas, lizards, whatever. I've loved lizards, Carolina Anoles in particular, since I was a child. They are adorable and bright green and my older brother and I would catch them in the summers and put them in jars with grass and punch holes in the lids, for proper ventilation. We would never really keep them though. They were much too fun to contain. I loved holding them, however briefly, as they are very quick and not so much for being handled. I loved the feel of their little feet sticking to my skin and how they felt cool to the touch and rough and squishy and delicate all at once. Did I mention they are bright green and cute as hell? I mean look at that face. How could you resist it?




Kiss my face! No? Well, you'll be back.




Well, I never could. I guess it's probably due in part to my love for these little guys (and dinosaurs! We can't forget the dinos!) that I've always been interested in reptiles. As such, it was no surprise that while I was on my way out of the PETCO yesterday, Fresh Step Extreme cat litter in my basket, my new phone resting obviously at the mouth of my purse, that I was captivated by a terrarium full of baby bearded dragons. Hold UP! Did someone say Dragons? 


I know, I know. They're not the dragons of my dreams; gorgeous and majestic, immense magical beasts with indestructible scales, breath of fire and wingspan to block out the sun, but humor me. It's basically as close to one of those dragons as I'm ever likely to get. Curses! Plus, we don't have any of those little green beauties here in DC, not that I've ever seen, so I gotta get my lizard fix while I can, ya know? 

So now about those baby dragons. As I was walking past the terrarium I noticed one looking at me and two more that appeared to be playing some sort of lizard tag. One was running from another that had the runners tail clasped firmly between it's jaws. There didn't appear to be any hostility going on, but who knows? Maybe they had beef. I stopped and stared and laughed out loud because, Hello? Is there anything cuter than baby anythings at play? No!  

Not too far from the players I saw three other little guys relaxing on a rock, staggered one on top of the other. Can you say photo op? Word! And here's where I grabbed my phone and things got really interesting.  

This fellow sees me. His comrades maintain relative disinterest. Playing hard to get eh? Hmph!




It appears that I finally have their attention as they have been holding mine for some time now. Reciprocity is awesome.





Bearded Dragons are described as being docile and social. Often they enjoy being handled and make excellent pets. Anyone see where this is going yet?




It appears we've I've drawn a crowd. These 2 chaps came to see what all the fuss was about. I'm sure they heard the clicking of the camera and now we've got a full on lizard lounge. How frickin' cute is that? Worry not my friends. It's gets even cuter!




Despite their curiosity it seems that much like myself, their attention span isn't really all that and they begin to climb up on one another trying to get a glimpse of something else. Intriguing. 



Squish.


 

Squish.




Gravity, For The Win!



You didn't see anything...


This was the most fun I've had shopping in a while and that's saying something because I love shopping! The fact that they all toppled over and this guy came back to see what I was cackling over made it all the more hilarious! Needless to say, I'm sold on them and would love to have one for my very own one day. I shall call him Drogon and he shall be mine. And he shall be my dragon.










No comments: