Thursday, July 4, 2013

Ain't That America?



Within the pedestal upon which our Lady Liberty stands, the following impassioned missive is engraved:


The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles.  From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command 
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips.  "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, The New Colossus tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
~Emma Lazarus




Happy Birthday tooo youuuu!




And is that not, what in our ideology, we esteem America to be. But is it thus in fact? I like to think so. I like to believe that on this day especially, that we are not so far from what we purport to espouse, to be that beacon of hope for those who would risk their lives for a chance at a better one. Here in the United States of America, we are not a perfect union, but we are trying. Every day there are those among us who struggle and fight to make it so. And while we might disagree on how to get there, or even what that perfect union actually is, we all agree that the opportunities we are afforded as Americans are among our nations greatest treasures. Our collective future is in our own hands and it is up to us to forge the best possible one. Maybe one day we'll get it right. I certainly hope we will because while I don't idolize my country, I do love it. And like all those things and people we love, I always only want the best for it, and for everyone. Happy Birthday USA, with Liberty and Justice, for ALL!


No comments: